News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: snide comments
      #5787 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:15 PM

I never said once that mobile was going to get a direct hit. I never said or hinted at be a wishcaster. I never hinted at 'it could hit me' . But if there is a post by a reliable poster, yes I pay attention. I would be out of my mind if I wanted this storm in Mobile, I was here in Frederick., thats was enough for me. Im a mom who wants to protect her children and if I can get quicker info from this board than NHC, so be it. But what I dont expect to have to put with is your snide comments. Like I have done over the years, keep them to yourself. The majority of us do until we are given enough reason to say hey! That was wrong.

Southern

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: outflow direction
      #5788 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:17 PM

New Orleans is calling for 50 to 60 MPH Winds Thursday afternoon. Im going with New Iberia location.

rickinmobile
Unregistered

nnw...soon n...then nne....
      #5789 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:20 PM

look at the last two frames in the last hour or so...this ain't a wobble...this thing is now heading NNW.....that's a 45 degree shift in 10 hours gang....THINK...we have 20 to go before landfall...
anyone else see what I am seeing????

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
      #5790 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:21 PM

Just a little FYI.. had a board like this been around back in 79, I would have paid closer attention to it instead of NHC. NHC let us down waiting until the last minute to give us a warning during Frederick. Excuse me for not giving them my full attention.

Southern

Steveunplugged
Unregistered

Update from the City...
      #5791 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:26 PM

Last visible, I got the eye at 26.48, 90.24. Don't know how that corresponds to the 4pm advisory because I don't have another browser open. That's from the zoomed visible on Goes-8.

They are predicting TS force winds in here in the city beginning after 9 or 10 (possibly midnight). Definitely going to be some power out in the city! I lost my bag of AA's, so I gotta go dig in a little while.

Only Bruce Katz of ABC 26 (Cable #11) is playing the N'ward jog. It's pretty evident on his satellites that it's going between NW and NNW. Gut feeling is if this isn't a stair step, I'm too far west with Iberia/St. Mary, and maybejustmaybe anywhere from Port of West St. Mary to Terrebonne (Tera-bone). I still don't see a New Orleans hit. Only thing that would change with this type of jog would be putting the fringe areas west of Jefferson Parish (my turf) - say St. Charles, Lafourche, Ascension, Assumption, St. James Parishes could be on the edge of the Hurricane force winds.

Steve

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
How strong is Lili?
      #5792 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:28 PM

The real question is exactly how strong is Lili? Remember 10 years ago this year Andrew was believed to be a Cat 4. However, this year he was upgraded to a Cat 5. I recall a post earlier that said the atmospheric conditions are not perfect enough for a Cat 5...if not then I don't what is! This storm looks pefect to me. Also, I believe we will get to see some amazing damage and storm footage because the storm will strike during the day. I think I have an idea about what they are going to experience and wish them the best of luck.

Bruce
Weather Guru

Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Update from the City...
      #5793 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:30 PM

Gain of 5 north, 2 West since 4pm

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #5794 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:31 PM

Steve, I look forward to reading your posts. Considering you are probably the only one in these posts that will experience the most of this storm...if there is anyone else please say so.

DopplerGal

Loc: S. E. Alabama
      #5795 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:33 PM

You go girl. NHC let us down on Opal too. No mention it might really turn our way.

Steveunplugged
Unregistered

Hey, I see wher Katz was getting his information
      #5796 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:33 PM

http://weather.abc26.com/global/Region/g1/2xpxIRSatellite.html
Click on his satellite and you can see where he was getting the northward jog. However, the last picture shows a definite shunt off to the NW after the last couple to the N/NNW.

Steve

anon(ShawnS)
Unregistered

#5797 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:33 PM

They are predictiong tropical storm force winds here tomorrow but I don't buy it!

ShawnS

turkeyman

Loc: Picayune, MS
Re: nnw...soon n...then nne....
      #5798 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:40 PM

I see those last two frames Rick, and I definitely don't like it. Hanging plants still hanging, lawn furniture still in place, truck running on empty.......if you get my drift. I'm 45 mi N of New orleans, and they keep mentioning a "slice" to the NE once this monster hits terra firma. I was here in '69 when the eye of Camille came five miles from the house. I'll never forget the horror. It was a once in a lifetime. Also I noticed the forcast models just today, had TX in their sights. Not any more. As for where it's going,........I don't know.....no one does. Just don't want it here. But, I did see those last two frames.

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: outflow direction
      #5799 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:41 PM

If anything in the last few frames (2310Z and 2315Z) its taken a NW wobble again. No clear direction change that I can see, yet. NO long range radar confirms this.

I think it would be helpful if everyone time stamps their comments (like I did) "the last frame" doesn't mean a whole lot when we are all looking at different sources.

Rick, I did see what you saw prior to these last two frames, and was in the process of posting a message in agreement.

Bill

rickinmobile
Unregistered

New Orleans is gonna take it on the chin.
      #5800 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:45 PM

The only way it will go west of New Orleans...is if it decides to STOP...

it is not yet n...but accounting for that wobble..it is now nnw...and soon to be nnnn.....by tonight late she will be nawtherly....then the question will be a shift east....imagine if it starts easterly at all...then it could slice and dice the gulf coast......

Carl
Unregistered

#5801 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:45 PM

getting a little worried here in Baton Rouge--I agree with the rest of you who see a more nnw movement. I'm hoping that maybe a little dry air can get entrained into the circulation before landfall, but I don't have a good feeling right now. People talk about Andrew in Florida all the time, but it got pretty intense in this area as well--I hope we are not in for a repeat performance. What is Bob Breck saying Steve?

Dan
Unregistered

Re: Upper Texas. Louisiana Prepare Today
      #5802 - Wed Oct 02 2002 07:57 PM

They eye is in long range radar site. Take a look at this:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p20-r/si.klix.shtml

recmod
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Lili has peaked?
      #5803 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:02 PM

8 PM NHC update states:

REPORTS FROM AIR FORCE RESERVE AND NOAA RESEARCH HURRICANE HUNTER
AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO
AT LEAST 145 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS

However, the central pressure has inched upward to 940 mb. At least this SEEMS to indicate that there should not be any further significant intensification (short term that is).

Lou

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
North turn...
      #5804 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:02 PM

Steve, be careful....

If i was in NO tonight, I'd be making plans...I've got a hunch this thig is gonna be much further east that the NHC is calling for...gonna be close to NO, I'm afraid...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

cappycat
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Raceland, LA
      #5805 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:07 PM

<<<<Lafourche, Ascension, Assumption, St. James Parishes could be on the edge of the Hurricane force winds. >>>>

This is me...we are in Lafourche parish. Watching Bob Breck now and getting his take on this NNW "jog".

145 mph winds. how far out do the hurricane force winds extend? 40 miles?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: North turn...
      #5806 - Wed Oct 02 2002 08:09 PM

Jason, if that happened. There is no time for any real sort of evacuation.

God I hope not. Would cause many heads to roll and be a horrible horrible case study.

You are wrong! (I hope)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 89445

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 29, 2024, 1:15:16 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center