News Talkback >> 2003 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Challenge #1 - Results and Analysis
      #12290 - Sat Sep 13 2003 04:09 PM

The official 13/12Z position of Hurricane Isabel was 22.1N 61.0W with an intensity of 130 knots. Most of us didn't do very well but I think that we may have expected that - its not an easy thing to do. Storm Cooper was off by about 130 miles at 22.8N 63.2W (not bad for a one week forecast). Stormchazer gets honorable mention with 20.5N and 64W. We all underplayed the intensity, who would have anticipated a Cat IV/V? The last Cat V was five years ago (Mitch). HankFrank had the intensity at 110 knots.

Everyone was too far to the west, so Why was that? Well I think our expectation was that the storm would eventually be a Cat I or a Cat II and it would move more under the influence of the low to mid level wind. Remember, a strong Atlantic basin high pressure ridge was anticipated at the time, so we figured that those easterly winds along the base of the ridge would move Isabel steadily westward at a decent 15-20kts. In retrospect, the ridge was slow to evolve and the storm quickly became a Cat IV, so the movement now was more under the control of the mid to upper level winds - which were a lot lighter, so Isabel had a slower 8 to 10 knot pace.

Of course the real point that I was making was that this isn't an easy thing to do - not just for 7 days but even for 5 days or 3 days. The release this year of the 5-day outlook had more to do with the refinement of models rather than with the excellent skill at NHC - the NHC has been doing this for quite some time - and yes, there have been failures as well as success - but you still have to make the forecast based on the info at hand.

Thanks to all that participated. It takes a little courage to stick your neck out and I applaud you for that!
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Challenge #1 - Results and Analysis
      #12316 - Sat Sep 13 2003 07:03 PM

I'll need to document this one well as it will probably my closest

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #12380 - Sun Sep 14 2003 01:04 AM

actually ed, that was fun. aside from you though, i didn't see any of our resident degreed mets take the plunge.. would be interesting to see how they stack up against amateur reckoning.
anyhow, ed, you've created a monster. for subsequent systems i'm going to post forum challenges for the 7-day positions of a given storm every few days.. since i can imagine that quite a few people on this board would enjoy it.
HF 0504z14september

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
      #12382 - Sun Sep 14 2003 01:12 AM

Honorable mention...I guess the map on the dartboard worked.

--------------------
Jara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3175

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 5, 2024, 2:04:20 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center