Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Divergence and Vorticity
      #15302 - Sat Jun 12 2004 10:40 PM

Hey Guys

Is there anyone that can explain what Divergence and Vorticity is and how it affects tropical cyclones. I see maps online all the time and don't how to use them

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Divergence and Vorticity [Re: Jamiewx]
      #15386 - Sun Jun 13 2004 10:28 PM

i can give you an idea.. may be 'right' but probably not on the money, scientifically.
vorticity is sort of like angular momentum, but in a fluid... in this case air. it's the tendency for something to continue gyrating, a ripple of lower pressure in the atmosphere with coriolis deflection working on it. it isn't necessarily a closed, circular turning, it may just show as a 'hook' in the wind field. a vorticity maximum is often the focal point for a developing tropical system.
divergence is a 'split' in an air current. when we're thinking of it in terms of tropical weather, it's the stuff happening at high altitudes, jet stream level (around 200mb for instance). when you have a forking in the upper air currents, the air below rises to take its place, think of it sort of like a siphon working on the air parcel below. i'm not sure if you'd call it dynamic forcing. anyway, rising air condenses, usually feeds convection, provides proper ventilation. it can work as a makeshift outflow jet for a developing tropical cyclone.. thats why the location and track of the system relative to the upper air flow is so important.. upper air winds can work for a tropical system (divergence or an outflow jet) or against (wind shear), and have a great deal of the influence in steering most tropical systems.
hope you can use some of that...
HF 0229z14june

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3612

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 14, 2024, 5:11:46 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center