News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
mud1967
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: RevUp]
      #32440 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:56 AM

Can any one tell me where to find airport closing info? My husband is flying to WPB on Mon. Will it be open?

Will WBP have power?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RickInRockledge
Unregistered

Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: AdvAutoBob]
      #32441 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:57 AM

Looks to me like the eye is starting to lift a bit more toward the NNW as it has moved more than 1/2 on shore. Anyone else seeing that? I'm watching the Melbourne Radar loop via Wunderground.com.

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Bryan, TX
Several Questions/Comments [Re: 1994plj]
      #32442 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:57 AM

First off... I've been lurking for the last 2 months or so and finally decided to register this morning. Thanks for all the hard work you guys do! My first comment is in regards to how UF has handled this storm (and the others for that matter). With each storm, they are waiting until the last possible minute to decide what to do about class schedules and offices. My wife has been begging me to take a weekend trip to Jacksonville to get away from Jeanne (she's scared after all the damage we took from Frances). However, I feel like I can't leave until I can be sure I won't HAVE to work on Monday. Unfortunately, that information won't come until it's too late to leave!

2nd comment concerns my weather observations for the day. I remember during Frances that it was noticeably windy/gusty for at least 36 hours before the eye even made landfall. However, today, the winds didn't pick up until a little after noon. I don't know that this means anything... just thought it was interesting.

Next, I was curious as to weather anyone could generate a map sometime tomorrow evening showing the paths of Charley, Frances, and Jeanne. I think it would interesting to see how each of these storms tracked over the state on one map.

Finally, I was watching FOX News earlier tonight with JB and he mentioned something I thought was interesting. He said that he thinks what we're seeing with all these FL hits has something to do with his theory of "Coinciding Tracks" or something like that. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a real theory (and what is it's real name?) JB went on to say that he didn't think FL was done yet this year. He also said that he expects this track theory to be seen again in the next 5 - 10 years near the New England states. Any thoughts on this?

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Heads UP, Polk County! [Re: Colleen A.]
      #32443 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:58 AM

I heard a boom up here in Apopka. It was accompanied by the blue flash.
In the past storms, we didn't hear the boom because the wind was harder.

Kristin

Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: mud1967]
      #32444 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:01 AM

I'd say he might be able to fly in, but don't bet on power... he might as well reschedule.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: Anyone? Anyone? [Re: LI Phil]
      #32445 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:01 AM

Quote:

Got this message in a PM, any help would be appreciated:

My husband is scheduled to go to West Palm on Monday. Are the airports closed as of now?

Any news about the WPB power outages?

Thanks

They need to contact the airline, and any local contacts in WPB. Some places (esp. south and west county) are planning business as usual by Monday.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

carol_melbourne
Unregistered

Re: Several Questions/Comments [Re: VandyBrad]
      #32446 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:02 AM

Could be Florida has become a "strange attractor" as they call it in chaos theory, I believe.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Anyone? Anyone? [Re: LI Phil]
      #32447 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:03 AM

Quote:

Got this message in a PM, any help would be appreciated:

My husband is scheduled to go to West Palm on Monday. Are the airports closed as of now?

Any news about the WPB power outages?

Thanks

Posted this one page ago...trying to help...but maybe I'll just call it a night...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
      #32448 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:04 AM

Im feeling the same way here, I was getting a lil tired until I start hearing that howling wind! its really scary because ive got all these huge oaks around me, enough distance between our home and them that if one or 2 fall it shouldnt land on the house never the less its still scary. I dont know if i should stay up all night or just try and go to sleep.Im leaning towards pulling an all nighter.

Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Davenport, FL
      #32449 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:05 AM

Davenport, Polk County, I4 and 27 this may be my last post. Power and cable just went down for about 15 sec. Transformers blowing. Winds were about 35-40 but now almost dead calm again. Why can't this s#!t happen in daylight??? I have my house cooled down like a meat locker, 20 gal of water in the fridge, 40 # of ice in the freezer, about 40 batteries, full coleman lantern, full hurricane lamp. Let's get it on.

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: RevUp]
      #32450 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:05 AM

I hope your right..

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: RickInRockledge]
      #32451 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:06 AM

Quote:

Looks to me like the eye is starting to lift a bit more toward the NNW as it has moved more than 1/2 on shore. Anyone else seeing that? I'm watching the Melbourne Radar loop via Wunderground.com.

I've been seeing the same thing - thought at first my eyes were playing tricks. But it's persisted - the eye seems to be running up the coast.

nppam

Loc: North Port, Florida
      #32452 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:06 AM

For what it's worth, here in North Port, FL (extreme southern Sarasota Co.), it's not too bad yet. Steady winds of maybe 25 mph with higher gusts, scant rain bands. I am concerned about Jeanne's painfully slow increase in latitude--since I sit at around 27.1 N and Jeanne has taken almost 38 hours to move up one full degree of latitude. I hate to go to bed only to find Jeanne passing overhead in 4-6 hours. Has the high in the Atlantic retreated so Jeanne can turn more northward, or not? Boy, these nighttime hurricanes really bite. Good luck to all Floridians--what a price we pay to live in paradise.

davet
Unregistered

Re: Heads UP, Polk County! [Re: alan]
      #32453 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:06 AM

the boom was a transformer in my back yard @ SPRINT parking lot on 436. I was out there taking a smoke break. WOW pretty impressive. I work with 460v industrial electrics every day... have seen some pretty cool BOOMS, but that one REALLY WAS BIG

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Heads UP, Polk County! [Re: davet]
      #32454 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:07 AM

Quote:

the boom was a transformer in my back yard @ SPRINT parking lot on 436. I was out there taking a smoke break. WOW pretty impressive. I work with 460v industrial electrics every day... have seen some pretty cool BOOMS, but that one REALLY WAS BIG

I was doing the same thing. Smoke break. It kind of freaked me out.

erauwx
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #32455 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:08 AM

I agree. the eye looks like it's starting to ride up the coast ....

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
      #32456 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:09 AM

Ease up! The mets in Tampa are reporting what they are seeing RIGHT NOW and RIGHT NOW it is not taking that NW turn. They are doing more than filling time, my friend. The NHC stuck with GFS and GFDL until yesterday, when we all saw that high digging deeper to the south. The mets weren't buying it. WHO WAS RIGHT?
I don't have the time or the patience right now to deal with these issues. Your eyes are the best source of information. Use yours as you like. It may begin to turn to the NW soon, but it hasn't done so yet, and I believe that Denis Phillips predicted a further south landfall area at 9 and that's exactly what we got at 11pm. Just because you don't work for the NHC doesn't make you any less qualified to deliver the weather AS IT IS OCCURING.
The timing right now is crucial, and it makes a lot of difference when and where the turn to the NW takes place.
Don't take this as a personal attack, because it's not. I'm just stating the facts as they are unfolding. This is very important to a lot of people in the TB area, and I think all they are trying to do is keep us all safe.
We're all tense, but we need to try and keep our heads clear --- even though our eyes want to close.
Stay safe, my friend.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Several Questions/Comments [Re: VandyBrad]
      #32457 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:09 AM

Quote:

Next, I was curious as to weather anyone could generate a map sometime tomorrow evening showing the paths of Charley, Frances, and Jeanne. I think it would interesting to see how each of these storms tracked over the state on one map.

Yes. Charley and Frances have already been plotted. Waiting for Jeanne to finish her journey.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: adv 50A [Re: davet]
      #32458 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:09 AM

landfall with winds of 120mph near southern end of hutchinson island...movement a little north of due west at 13mph... center 10 miles west of stuart florida..... 27.2n and 80.4w..... no changes in watches/warnings.....

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Sep 26 2004 01:10 AM)

Ga Resident
Unregistered

Re: Heads UP, Polk County! [Re: alan]
      #32459 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:09 AM

Thank you all so much for your answers. It makes me feel a bit better. You all have helped a lot of people..how many, you may never know.

God Bless you. Stay safe.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 101827

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 28, 2024, 4:39:23 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center