General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central, Florida
Bahamas death toll.
      #33258 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:42 AM

How many people died this year in the bahamas and the kayman islands? I heard for a while during Frances the kayman islands were completly underwater. I heard that it was like 1000+ deaths.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hahaaha
Unregistered

Re: Bahamas death toll. [Re: Spike]
      #34055 - Sat Oct 23 2004 01:26 PM

The death toll isn't 1000 plus deaths in CAYMAN islands. That would be insane! The islands aren't 14 metres high at their peak so they can't be underwater.. lol haha you're funny.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Bahamas death toll. [Re: Spike]
      #34059 - Sat Oct 23 2004 05:16 PM

An effort should have been made to verify the facts before submitting this type of a post. It took me about 12 seconds to determine that the loss of life attributed to Frances was 23 and the loss of life attributed to Ivan was 90 - and thats for the entire track. A Category V storm surge is only about 25 feet - and thats with a direct hit. In the Caribbean Sea (deep water and no nearshore 'shelf' effect) the maximum storm surge is probably more like 15 feet It is unlikely that a 15 foot storm surge would extend inland over a half mile (probably less). In other words, Grand Cayman could never be inundated by a hurricane. Loss of life could still be high, but in this case (Ivan) it wasn't. The port is open on Grand Cayman and utilities (mostly power) are still being restored.
ED

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Bahamas death toll. [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #34061 - Sat Oct 23 2004 06:25 PM

Spike, hahaha & Ed;

Ivan had NO effect, per se, on the Bahamas; Ivan did, however, pummel Grenada, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac & Cuba, before ultimately unleashing on the FL/AL coasts...

However, Jeanne and the unnamed storm in May were KILLERS of serious magnitude, especially on Hispaniola in general, and Haiti in particular...I would hazard a guess that 5,000 or more were killed directly or indirectly as a result of Jeanne & UNS (UnNamedStorm) in Hispaniola and the Islands.

Regardless of the numbers, it's a horrible set of occurrences and should not be made light of.

NHC was spot on this year, for the most part, but I believe, and will contend, that they dropped the ball on the unnamed storm in May & NOT classifying Matthew when it was obvious he was a TD for almost 36 hours. Afterall, how many storms go straight to named status without first being classified as TD's??? Especially in the GOM!!!

I'm guessing what should be STD/STS Otto won't gain recognition either.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4242

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 29, 2024, 9:36:44 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center