General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
winechez228
Unregistered

What about St Augustine
      #23554 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:01 AM

I was to arrive in Jacksonville on Sunday afternoon for a week in St Augustine. What does it look like for that area? Will they be hit? if so to what extent? would you advise to cancel? or will it just be rain for a day or two? never had to deal with a hurricane.
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lafinplace
Unregistered

Re: What about St Augustine [Re: winechez228]
      #30771 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:16 AM

Right now the projections show the hurricane path going right toward St. Augustine and Jacksonville. However, this can change. You should watch the updates carefully and reconsider your visit. A direct hit from a hurricane will be much more than rain for a day or two. A direct hit would most likely mean restricted transportation (trees down), limited communications (cell phone towers and telephone lines down), and no power for an undetermined amount of time. No power = no air conditioning which is something considering the hot rain saturated air. If your hotel has a generator, this may not be a huge consideration, but many businesses - restaurants, etc will be closed if there is no power.

Sally in Orlando

wordgirl
Unregistered

Re: What about St Augustine [Re: lafinplace]
      #30789 - Fri Sep 24 2004 08:03 AM

Sally is very right. St. Augustine would not be very safe nor pleasant if Jeanne comes anywhere near, and depending on where you're coming from, the roads might be badly congested (I-95, U.S. 1) or completely impassible from prior storms (I believe I-10 is open, but it would take only a very small elevation in flooding to close it again.)

Please consider rescheduling your visit. It's a beautiful town - and we love having visitors - but this is not the week to check it out.

DuzIt4You

Reged: Sat
Loc: Winter Haven / Lakeland, FL
      #31928 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:54 PM

Yeah, we love having visitors in Central FL. too, but we don't want anything bad to happen to you while you're here! You may want to reschedule your trip so that you have an opportunity to enjoy all that Florida has to offer, instead of the view from the inside of a darkened hotel room.

Cory

--------------------
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/duzit4you/myhomepage/duzit4yousized.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Unregistered
Unregistered

#32273 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:20 PM

St. Augustine won't be effected to a large degree by Jeanne. The path of the storm is predicted to be well to the west of us.

McDan

Reged: Fri
      #33470 - Fri Oct 01 2004 01:14 AM

My best friend just moved to Central Florida a month ago. He has been out of power for a week now as of today. Canceling might be a good idea. This is a great site to see what is going on down there. Although, he did move down there to install hurricane glass.
I guess it is better than everything out there. I'll plug a link for it.

Hurricane Protection

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 19, 2024, 4:27:55 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center