General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
KCW

Reged: Wed
Hurricane Survival Guide
      #33620 - Wed Oct 06 2004 08:46 PM

Hi

My friend (she lives in Sarasota) and I have been jokingly saying we need a Hurricane Cookbook. When I first moved to FL, in 98, I was treated to Georges and another one, though I've forgotten the name. As a result, I have always stocked up at the start of the season. No Hurricane Amnesia at my house.

Still, for people who have had to go weeks and weeks without electricity... maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

As we tossed the idea around, we realized that we ought to write a book, interviewing people about their experiences and gathering great tips for protecting yourself, family, home, valuables, etc.

For instance, I heard a great tip: put your computer in your dishwasher if you evacuate without it. Hadn't thought of that. My own habit of filling wash tub with water to use for cleaning and flushing the commode is often greeted with "oh, gee, never thought of that!" I imagine there are lots of good ideas out there for preparing for, surviving, and cleaning up after a storm.

I figured we could do it and self publish, donating the profits to a hurricane charity, places like this site, and/or disaster relief funds.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Kelley

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
Re: Hurricane Survival Guide [Re: KCW]
      #33793 - Sat Oct 09 2004 12:50 AM

Sounds interesting.

As to putting the computer in the dishwasher... I'm no expert... but if it floods do the drains ever back up into the dishwasher???

If I had to ever evac, I'd try to at least take my tower with me - if not the whole computer... and if I couldn't take the tower I'd take the hard drives out and put them in a tupperware container. And take those with me.

My personal evac nightmare would involve my photographs... I have tens of thousands of negs and photos ...

Souinds like you have the makings of a very interesting book!

'shana

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Hurricane Survival Guide [Re: ShanaTX]
      #33799 - Sat Oct 09 2004 01:59 AM

You got my vote!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3945

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 19, 2024, 4:58:29 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center