Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
Global Warming
      #34522 - Sat Nov 27 2004 11:47 AM

I meant to ask this question the last time the topic of Global Warming came up. I know that some of you believe this is happening and others believe that the whole thing is over-hyped. I don't know too much either way, although I figure it would be really selfish of humans to think that we and the way we live do not have a negative effect on our world. When I hear "global warming", I think of "warming" being the action word. I can understand ice caps melting and colder water moving south. But, how would this lead to a "mini" or just plain ice age? Wouldn't the warming happen everywhere and instead of being frozen, wouldn't we bake to death?

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Global Warming [Re: Heather]
      #34523 - Sat Nov 27 2004 12:15 PM

First off, I would like to say I'm sorry for opening this can of worms. Whatever may be taking place, we don't really know what will happen with the weather. I was speculating, based on my knowledge of climate - which is rather bleak and some theories that I had. Don't worry about Global warming and the media affilates, worry about what's happening now. Sorry my bad. This is another one of my theories:

What if the increased pressure gradient that is a net result of the warmer waters in the South Pacific, pushes the Pacific ridge or breaks off pieces which in turn land in Canada. This would push a constant flow of high pressure, like facilitated diffusion into Canada and allow the wavelengths to broaden. The only reason why we didn't have a major snowstorm in the east yet was because of the absence of the Canadian high. Maybe, once we get a lower SOI signal then the ridge will orientate itself so that it is a convergence zone. But then why do we have associate a la nina with a more “harsh” winter, and a el nino with a warm winter, this is because there are specific temperatures that generate anomalous stronger trade winds. Maybe since temperature is a measure of molecular motion, the warmer air contains faster moving molecules but not to fast, to create a short burst of energy diffusion but a long one; hence the reason why temperatures are not extremes. If global warming is present, and the theory is true, it will create extremes of temperatures that at most would cause a short burst of harsh weather. Therefore, I do not feel hurricanes are directly related to el nino, but indirectly, making a correlation possible because they are a conjunction (which is a truth statement T^T=T). Comments and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Global Warming [Re: Keith234]
      #34524 - Sat Nov 27 2004 12:19 PM

I know this is a very crude anology but think of my theory as a lava lamp. As time progresses and heat increases, the bubbles become much larger, not small and numerous like when it started to heat up.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3444

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 9, 2024, 3:51:41 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center