Weather Bloggers >> Resident Meteorologist Discussions

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Emily Strengthens
      #43378 - Sat Jul 16 2005 08:29 AM

At 1100Z, Emily was at 15.9N 76.3W and movement over the past few hours has been toward 290 degrees at about 16 knots. Emily is now at 120 knots and will probably stay at least that strong - perhaps even a little stronger since the core of the storm will miss Jamaica. It is possible that Emily could reach Category V intensity as she passes south of the Caymans. I'd estimate that Emily will be near 18N 82W at 17/0800Z or about 75 miles south southwest of Grand Cayman. Winds on Grand Cayman will peak out of the east to east southeast at 65 knots with gusts near 80 knots, or right on the borderline for Category I hurricane conditions. Seas will run six to eight feet higher than normal. Expect widespread power outages. Tropical Storm force winds can be expected starting this evening on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac and residents off all the islands should complete all of their hurricane preparations before 6pm. While not expected to be as strong as Hurricane Ivan of last year, Emily will still bring hurricane force winds to Grand Cayman during the early morning hours on Sunday so everyone should exercise good common sense and select a safe place to ride out the storm. I'd like to come back to my favorite western Caribbean Island knowing that everyone had survived the storm.
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ed Dunham, danielw, Clark, tpratch, typhoon_tip 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2771

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 2, 2024, 12:52:40 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center