Archives 2002-2009 >> 2006 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
New Forum
      #43324 - Fri Jul 15 2005 10:41 PM

What a great idea! I'm not much of a landfall predictor, but this will be perfect for those who are, and the wishcasters.....

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: New Forum [Re: Terra]
      #43382 - Sat Jul 16 2005 09:12 AM

Agreed. This should help keep the two main forums open for real time weather information and forcasting......Weatherchef

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
OK then [Re: Terra]
      #43388 - Sat Jul 16 2005 09:52 AM

Heady with excitement over correctly figuring out early on from viewing the sat pics yesterday that Emily would slough off the outer edges, become more compact, and intensify a great deal, I venture a prediction. Got up this morning to find Emily a strong Cat 4; 145mph sustained winds. Radar looks impressive, eye well defined, and now Emily is moving into the creme de la creme of the Carribean as far as potential for strengthening. Reading the water temp map from Steve Gregory's blog, she is about to pass right over the candy store. All this we knew late last night and I thought then that she'd be a Cat 5 - I still think so. I think we'll see rapid strengthening today as it warms up, and again starting in early evening. I predict sustained winds of 160mph before midnight rolls around.

I don't have any skills to predict direction because I don't know any of the tech stuff. So I'll just hope she goes south of Cayman Is and spare them a direct hit.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: OK then [Re: Margie]
      #43524 - Sat Jul 16 2005 10:58 PM

I guess - close but no cigar. No Cat 5 yet. What I thought would happen by this evening looks not to finish happening until maybe early tomorrow afternoon. Just a newbie, I clearly am not in sync yet with hurricane biorhythms.

Plus it looks like the water temp profile changed and still lots of yummy warm water for Emily to snack on tomorrow (meals are at regular intervals but snacking can be done all day long!).

Guess this new forum didn't exactly take off. I think you gotta keep advertising them.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: OK then [Re: Margie]
      #43527 - Sat Jul 16 2005 11:04 PM

I think it's just that there are only about 10 of us regularly posting on Emily, and most of us aren't the long-range forecasting type. I think the forum will do better when a storm is more relevant to posters on the board.... Now, granted, they may not post here initially, but I'm thinking the mods see this as a good place to put many inappropriate posts from the News Forum.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: OK then [Re: Terra]
      #43577 - Sun Jul 17 2005 12:28 PM

Well I feel somewhat mollified...the met blogs from wunderground seem to concur that Emily was a Cat 5 with some higher winds for a short time, but not for a long enough time for NHC to upgrade the intensity.

Sun morning things seem a lot like Emily's previous reorganization. Concensus seems to be that Emily won't have enough time to get back to her previous strength before landfall, but that there will still be a lot of damage due to the large amount of building that went on along the coasts the last 15 years. Well I am glad she won't get the chance to get back up to that strength. Yesterday was a really interesting day to watch her and I'll be satisfied with that.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4539

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 29, 2024, 1:50:25 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center