Archives 2002-2009 >> 2006 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Where will irene head?
      #47473 - Thu Aug 11 2005 01:10 AM

Right now I'm thinking... if the storm stays weak for the next 36 hours, I'm thinking north florida, south georgia.

If the storm strengthens some but not for 24 hours, I'm seeing south/north carolina. border.

If the storm picks up intensity quickly, then I think it's outerbanks or a total miss....

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Where will irene head? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #47476 - Thu Aug 11 2005 01:44 AM

not a bad philosophy. problem is, the ridge is transient.. even a strong storm could come in if it builds strong further west than the models are showing (the overall pattern could support the ridging trending stronger near the mid-atlantic coast). as for the next 24 hrs.. the upper low to the sw is keeping it in check, but probably adding some latitude. the current ridge centered near bermuda should weaken around 48-72 and then rebridge afterwards.. exactly how that happens will determine whether irene misses nc, goes into nc, or bends back to the west and impacts further south.
the basic premise of timing of intensification i won't argue with, though... how irene intensifies will feed back into the strength and alignment of nearby ridging, and the tendency to move poleward via that beta advection thing clark explained but i haven't learned.
when irene gets aligned correctly and starts intensifying... we'll have a much better idea what the track will be.
HF 0544z11august

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 25, 2024, 4:57:19 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center