General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
John&Sherri
Unregistered

Least hit ?
      #52919 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:56 AM

Hello,

What area of Florida is hit the least by hurricanes, north, south, etc. ? We think it could be North Central but we're not sure. Thanks.

Best,

John & Sherri

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
loborules
Unregistered

Re: Least hit ? [Re: John&Sherri]
      #52933 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:22 AM

I evacuated from gulfport, ms to to panama city, fl and there is no damage or problems here

flarrfan
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Spring Hill FL
      #52936 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:48 AM

Quote:

Hello,

What area of Florida is hit the least by hurricanes, north, south, etc. ? We think it could be North Central but we're not sure. Thanks.

Best,

John & Sherri

Assuming your question is related to historical hurricane threat, I think the Jacksonville/First Coast area has been the least impacted historically of any location in Florida. Look at a map for why---the curve in the coast from Cape Canaveral north past Savannah tends to isolate this coast from the typical hurricane path.

If you are wanting to relocate to Florida and looking for a safe spot, the Jax-St. Augustine area is about as good as they come, plus since JAX cleaned up its act a few years ago, it's maybe the most livable metro area in the state by a lot of measures.

Cdog
Unregistered

Re: Least hit ? [Re: flarrfan]
      #52951 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:02 PM

No area is really safe, but certainly inland central Florida and other inland areas northward are the safest. Orlando, for example, had 3 hurricanes pass nearby last year but there was relatively little damage. It seems like the Gulf provides the fuel necessary for these storms to intesify.

flarrfan
Verified CFHC User

Re: Least hit ? [Re: Cdog]
      #52969 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

No area is really safe, but certainly inland central Florida and other inland areas northward are the safest. Orlando, for example, had 3 hurricanes pass nearby last year but there was relatively little damage. It seems like the Gulf provides the fuel necessary for these storms to intesify.

Relatively little damage in Orlando last year?

I don't know where this poster lives, but I doubt he's among the million plus inland central Floridians impacted by the Cat 2 remnants of Charley last August. I was one of the considerably smaller number of Orlando residents seriously impacted by then Cat 2 Donna in 1960. That's two more hurricanes than the number impacting the Jacksonville area in the same 44-year time span.

Any place on the peninsula, coastal or inland, is less safe than Jacksonville IMHO. Draw a line basically from St. Augustine across to Perry, and north to Georgia. Everything west of that is panhandle historically subject to GOM storms. Everything south is peninsula with storm threat from both sides.

Edited by flarrfan (Wed Aug 31 2005 01:59 PM)

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
      #52971 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:56 PM

does anyone know if a storm like Katrina would be worse if it only lets say south florida or north carolina or long island...like can certain hurricanes have greater damages and impacts, at the samee intensity, in a different location?

and can anyone give me a site with historic LI canes, someone gave it to me already but i had to erase my whole computer, thank you that would be really helpfull becuase i know LI is under the gun, we've lucked out basically.

Thank You For Everything, You Guys Are Amazing.

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: Least hit ? [Re: Ryan]
      #52975 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:12 PM

Not really sure of the details, LI Phil probably would know. Last major I am aware of is 1938 LI Express

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Least hit ? [Re: Ryan]
      #53000 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:59 PM

Ryan - First of all....my sincerest condolences on the loss your great-grandparents.

Secondly in response to your question:
[quote does anyone know if a storm like Katrina would be worse if it only lets say south florida or north carolina or long island...like can certain hurricanes have greater damages and impacts, at the samee intensity, in a different location?

If I am interpreting this question correctly, the answer is: Absolutely. Take Hurrican Andrew for example. While it did billions in damage and destroyed all that it did, it did so in an area (at the time) that was not as heavily populated as it is today. If you took Andrew and moved it north to Broward Co. (Ft. Lauderdale) and sent it right up Broward Blvd.(the heart of downtown Ft. Laud), that is more densely populated..not only with homes but high-rise office buildings, downtown courthouses, convention center, etcetera...the dollar amount of damage would have been even more stagering. So in a nut shell, yes, the same storm can do different damage (dollar wise) depending upon the location of landfall.

As far as Katrina goes, I think it's safe to say she couldn't have had a more worse effect on any other area than the one she did. While her winds were severely damaging and that alone would have been devestating...it's her tidal surge (and the myriad of problems that that alone brings to the table) that's made the situation has horrific as it is. It's that surge coupled with the low (in places below) elevation that have made this so utterly destructive.

Edited by native (Wed Aug 31 2005 03:00 PM)

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
      #53006 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

Check out this: Florida Hurricane Landfalls

Click on the graphic to the right under the title :GRAPHICS

Ivysmum
Unregistered

#53026 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:20 PM

Jacksonville is the least hit directly. Although hurricanes come through the backdoor here it's not as severe. The outer bands also hit us but again not as bad as a direct hit.

Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Least hit ? [Re: Ivysmum]
      #53036 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:12 PM

Jacksonville and a direct hit will happen, but when it will happen is like guessing Katrina. It might happen in your lifetime, or it may happen five grandkids in.

Going by that map:

The state Capital is the safest place on the map, follow by Jacksonville(Which has alot of lines going through it from the southwest). Funny, Katrina was once forcast to go turn toward Tallahassee.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Naples, FL
      #53063 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:40 PM

Naples area (Collier County) has not been hit for a long time - Charley brushed by to our north. We are praying each time that our luck will hold.

Karen

flarrfan
Verified CFHC User

Re: Least hit ? [Re: Takingforever]
      #53073 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

The state Capital is the safest place on the map, follow by Jacksonville(Which has alot of lines going through it from the southwest). Funny, Katrina was once forcast to go turn toward Tallahassee.

The map is missing some significant storms that hit Tallahassee and the coast immediately south of it during the 20 years I lived there, most prominently Hurricane Kate, a Cat 1 that followed the 1877 track and knocked down almost every tree over a power line in the town, 20 years ago this November...had a co-worker without power for two weeks, and lots of damage. It doesn't show the dozen or so tropical storms that caused flooding in the many low-lying areas amid the city's hills, or the March 1993 No-Name storm that devastated the coast of the Big Bend and produced the heaviest snow flurries I ever saw in Florida. It also doesn't include the winter storms that hit twice in 20 years and left snow accumulation on the ground for a day or more. I know Florida, Florida history, and Florida storm history, and I stand by Jacksonville as my choice of best overall weather and lowest serious storm threat in the state.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Least hit ? [Re: Takingforever]
      #53075 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:55 PM

youre absolutely right! Any city in florida is a target! Doesnt matter if they have been hit or not! New York could even be a target. you never know when a natural disaster will strike.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Least hit ? [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #53079 - Wed Aug 31 2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

Not really sure of the details, LI Phil probably would know. Last major I am aware of is 1938 LI Express

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/38hurricane/

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Least hit ? [Re: LI Phil]
      #53102 - Wed Aug 31 2005 09:17 PM

thanks phil, so you think its safe to say that the hurricane of 1938 was a once in a lifetime storm?..and i was reading that everytime a noreaster or a bad storm hits long island beach erosion is hhuuugggeeee on the south shore and inland flodding can go inland miles and milleess.

Thats for all of your help everyone int he hard times.

Also, in the map of florida posted earlier, how come north cerntral florida has no hurricanes over it, its liket hat area is prone to hurricanes.

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

laureinfl
Unregistered

Re: Least hit ? [Re: native]
      #53194 - Thu Sep 01 2005 05:50 AM

Looks like from the graphic that Orlando is the place you DON'T want to be...

John&Sherri
Unregistered

Re: Least hit ? [Re: laureinfl]
      #53653 - Sat Sep 03 2005 12:21 PM

Thanks to you all. We now at least have a starting point or two, all North and somewhat central.

Best,

Sherri&John

carolt
Unregistered

#53697 - Sun Sep 04 2005 08:54 AM

Maps of landfall locations here:
wx risk

Of course the further inland and away from lowlying areas you are, the better.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 28, 2024, 8:17:13 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center