General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
tomwideman
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Unregistered User]
      #53027 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:21 PM

Looking for Madeline Klein, 6129 Garraway Circle (cross street Handover), Ocean Springs. Elderly, blind and alone at home. Saw a reference to Windsor Place being pretty good -- where is Windsor Place? Any info on her or on the general condition of this area of Ocean Springs would be appreciated, my email is tom@wideman.org. Thanks and God bless.

Tom Wideman
Grapevine, TX

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
michie
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Carol1013]
      #53028 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:26 PM

i am not from around there, like i said i live in mass. but i do know that they were picked up at a friends house that lives behind the walmart in ocean springs. i wish that i could give you more info. as soon as my brother reaches his in-laws i will find out everything that i can and post all the info he gives me and hopefully that will help some of you to know the conditions of the areas you are inquiring about. my nephew that is with them just turned a year old on the 24th that is why i was down there. i know what you and everyone is going through right know not knowing any info. i promise that i will let you all know everything that gets relayed to me.

sonja

Reged: Wed
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: sonja]
      #53030 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:36 PM

GOOD NEWS! We finally heard from our loved ones who stayed on Sheppard Drive in Ocean Springs! They are safe and sound. A lot of Ocean Springs residents are in shelters in Biloxi but cannot contact us. Phone service will take a while, so keep your hopes high. I pray that all you who post here will soon hear from your loved ones too. Homes can be replaced, precious lives can't. God Bless!

michie
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: tomwideman]
      #53032 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:42 PM

i wen't online to look how far garraway circle was from my brothers home and it says it is 12.1 away from him but it looks like it might b a little further away from the coast then his home was.

michie
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: michie]
      #53039 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:27 PM

i just heard from my brother they made it to georgia. i really haven't recieved any details from him as i am sure everyone can understand it was a very emotional phone call. everything he has is gone. all i know is that he still has a lot of friends down there he hasn't heard from and does not know if they are okay or not. he did tell me that him and some other people were able to rescue some of his neighbors from their homes when the initial flood hit and bring them to the only 2 story home on his street. as soon as we are able to talk more in depth about everything i will let you all know the information i recieve. once again my prayers are with all of you and all of them.

kathyh

#53043 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:38 PM

I have a friend that evacuated to Florida and is wanting to drive back to ocean Springs tomorrow to see if she can salvage ANYTHING from her or her Mothers home. She cant get any info out of Ocean Springs and desperately is seeking news on any of these streets and the condition

St Andrews Drive

Fountaine Beach (at least I think thats what she said) more than likely doesnt matter as I know its beach front also wondering the condition of The Ocean Springs hospital where she works. any info I could give her would be great! Thank You

kathyh

#53050 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:46 PM

Mitchie,
on a message above you said your family took 10/1/2 hours to get to ocean Springs this morning...where did they drive from??

Edited by kathyh (Wed Aug 31 2005 05:48 PM)

Amanda McDavid
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: kathyh]
      #53061 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:27 PM

Hi again everyone,

I thought I would post that I have made contact with my relatives who live on North Street in Ocean Springs. They reached us via a very choppy cellphone call! We could only talk fro seconds at a time. They said that their house is dry and so I Assume the rest of that street, and probably the general area around North STreet ,is not badly damaged.
My father will be driving down to Ocean Springs starting tomorrow to pick up my grandparents. Hopefully he will be able to get in. Michie your story of 10.5 hours is promising in that at least they actually got into Ocean Springs. When my dad returns im sure he'll be able to give more info on teh conditino of Ocean springs.

Good luck to all
Sincerely
Amanda

Vonar
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: sonja]
      #53069 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:15 PM

My son and daughter in-law live on Sheppard Dr. also. They have not been able to get any info. If you hear anything, can you let me know? I will do the same for you! We will keep praying. (mvarellano@hotmail.com)

michie
Unregistered

#53074 - Wed Aug 31 2005 07:55 PM

my family went from moultry, ga to pick them up. i know that yesterday they were on the phone for a good part of the day with the transit athourity to find the roads that were open to get to my brother. they may have also of contacted police in ocean springs too. it might take some time to get through but i'm sure you will be able to find a way to get there.

michie
Unregistered

#53077 - Wed Aug 31 2005 08:01 PM

i just tried to contact my brother to let you know of the condition of the hospital. he was not at his in-laws, they went to buy some clothes for all of them(they had to leave the house so fast when it started to flood that my brother has not even had shoes on this whole time). when i spoke to him a few hours ago he did say that he had to bring his son to the emergency room last night around 2:30am because he was running a temp.(doctors said it was just from how hot it is there, he is fine now). i can only assume it was that hospital they went to. when i talk to him again i will find out for sure and let you know.

conley
Unregistered

#53093 - Wed Aug 31 2005 08:52 PM

I am looking for information regarding the conley family, on seminole court. They did not evacuate and we cant get through to them. Please post any information regarding this area just north of 90 near the bridge to Biloxi.

sschoonover

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: conley]
      #53096 - Wed Aug 31 2005 09:03 PM

We are looking for information on our friend, Elizabeth Nance at 3113 North Sixth Street - Ocean Springs, MS 39564-9495. She did not evacuate and we cant get through to her.
PLEASE post any information regarding this area. Thank you.

guy
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Amanda McDavid]
      #53137 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:21 PM

amanda, i want to go to ocean springs. i have resources that might help.
please call me, or write me.
my number is 901-870-8578
my email address is baderdawg2003@yahoo.com

guy bader

sonja

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Vonar]
      #53150 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:34 PM

Just talked with my family who live on Sheppard Drive. The homes near them are fine. They didn't even have flooding in their home, just a tree limb through the window. However, they could not travel since most roads were closed, flooded, etc. They did manage to leave in a 4-wheel-drive truck and head out of state. So, the roads must not be TOO bad. I hope that your son's home was spared as well.

I sent you an email, but thought I'd post here too. Take care and God bless.

Cris

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: wondering]
      #53163 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:05 PM

OCEAN SPRINGS- S 7TH ST - MY COUSIN AND HER CHILDREN EVACUATED TO FL, BUT HER HUSBAND WHO IS STATIONED AT KEESLER AIR FORCE BASE HAD TO STAY ON BASE. HER HUSBAND WAS ABLE TO GET OFF THE BASE LATE THIS AFTERNOON TO CHECK ON HIS HOME AND ALSO, A FRIENDS HOME IN OCEAN SPRINGS. HIS HOME IS FINE & WAS NOT FLOODED- WATER ONLY CAME INTO THEIR GARAGE. THEIR CATS WERE ALSO FINE. DEBRIS IS ALL OVER THEIR YARD. HIS FRIEND'S HOME JUST A FEW STREETS CLOSER TO THE OCEAN WAS NOT SO LUCKY, AS IT HAD BEEN FLOODED UP TO THE CEILINGS- WHICH ARE NOW FALLING.

JillianA
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: lcbox3]
      #53166 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:18 PM

If anyone has information on the Ocean Springs area, especially any houses on Porter Street, please reply ASAP. My great uncle lives on Porter Street and no one has heard from him since the hurricane. If anyone has any info on that area please respond!

Amanda
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: JillianA]
      #53171 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:58 PM

Cris, you said he went from Keesler Air Force Base to ocean Springs..... if you get a chance please please please ask him what roads he used... it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ac.mcdavid@gmail.com

Vickie
Unregistered

Cumberland and Surgeres Rds. [Re: Amanda]
      #53186 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:49 AM

We heard a very brief "We're OK" from our relatives that live on the above streets in Ocean Springs. The cell phone they were using cut out after a few seconds. No word on the state of their homes -- but they are OK, which is all that matters. Thank you so much for all of your prayers and good thoughts.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Amanda]
      #53192 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:20 AM

Quote:

My sister lives on Jackson Avenue in Ocean Springs. I heard there were only 3 houses standing (one was hers) and I do not have further info about the condition of those homes or anything Ocean Springs. I live in California, so if anyone has additional info it would be greatly appreciated. My sister evacuated to Arkansas.

I heard most everything south of the railroad tracks, gone. That is hard for me to think about. I loved that part of Ocean Springs.

Here are satellite photos of the damage. They were taken after 1) water subsided, 2) cleanup on a lot of the streets to make them passable. Also just because you can see a roof doesn't mean that the house is undamaged; it could have been damaged from wind or it could have been submerged in water.

Use this in conjunction with mapquest to try to find the location you are looking for.

The little squares aren't really in the right place. You have to hunt and peck to find the right photos. Then, once the picture comes up, place your cursor over it, and then go to the box with arrows in the lower RH side and click on it to zoom in.

http://alt.ngs.noaa.gov/katrina/088M30D_KATRINA.HTM

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 24003

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 28, 2024, 8:01:51 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center