General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
libertylady
Unregistered

Conditions in Mobile, AL?
      #53057 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:13 PM

We're from PA. My 18 year old son was to start a new job working for a general contractor next week, but the boss's secretary called and told him they're leaving tomorrow for Mobile. He has no idea exactly what they're supposed to be doing there. I'm concerned about letting him go. What is the situation in Mobile?

My heart goes out to all of you who have suffered losses from this terrible devastation. My prayers are with you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Conditions in Mobile, AL? [Re: libertylady]
      #53060 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:20 PM

This is a post from another topic:

"Back at work today....

Dodged a bullet. This was an unbelievable storm...you can't imagine....have to see the news...and it's worse than that...gas lines here...power out in most places. But power is being restored.

All the coast of Mississippi has been wiped clean......completely....
Dauphin Island, south of me 20 miles....lost 90% of their homes
My boat is inland about 15 miles. Sustained bridge damage, popped the radar off, and broke my steering wheel topside. No big deal. Boat did well...the storm surge jammed the boat into the roof....

but across the river....heavy devastation. Turner Marine....lost almost ALL of their sailboats...piled on top of one another...(those that weren't thrown up river 2-3 miles...)

but Mobile, all in all had less wind damage than Ivan...but the storm surge was somewhere in the 20' range...and downtown Mobile had water ...but not like New Orleans...not close.

Probably hundreds of thousands of boats,....gone.

Had that storm kicked right just 50 miles...and the story would be a little different. "

and a story from CNN;

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina.alabama/index.html

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Conditions in Mobile, AL? [Re: libertylady]
      #53190 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:07 AM

Quote:

We're from PA. My 18 year old son was to start a new job working for a general contractor next week, but the boss's secretary called and told him they're leaving tomorrow for Mobile. He has no idea exactly what they're supposed to be doing there. I'm concerned about letting him go. What is the situation in Mobile?

My heart goes out to all of you who have suffered losses from this terrible devastation. My prayers are with you.

Excellent. They have power, stores are open, and anyone who can get there from Jackson County and has some cash has been over there to get supplies.

The storm didn't hit all of Mobile hard, just part of it, so a lot of places in northern Mobile County had very minimal effects. Even Fairhope, right on the other side of Mobile Bay, did not have very much in the way of flooding or wind damage.

However in Jackson County MS which is right next door it is basically a disaster situation.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3467

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 29, 2024, 11:05:26 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center