General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kathy B.
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Unregistered User]
      #53378 - Thu Sep 01 2005 06:13 PM

INFO ON OCEAN SPRINGS!!!

Here is a website for WLBT with a fifteen minute aerial video of Gautier, Ocean Springs, Biloxi and some of Gulfport.

www.wlbt.com/Global/SearchResults.asp?qu=Ocean+Springs
In Ocean Springs, everything south of the railroad tracks has been devastated by flooding. There is a lot of debris that has been pushed up across the tracks and in some areas the tracks have been uprooted and thrown to the side.

Prayers are with all the people there and their families. God Bless....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cris

Reged: Wed
Re: to Amanda- Ocean Springs News [Re: Unregistered User]
      #53425 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:02 PM

AMANDA-
The trip to ocean springs took them quite a while, but from what we understand they were able to take I-10 out of Biloxi to Ocean Springs. Sorry that it took so long to get back with you, but we still cannot call in and they can only get calls on cell phones sporadicall. Hope this helps.

Amanda
Unregistered

Re: to Amanda- Ocean Springs News [Re: Cris]
      #53455 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:39 AM

No worries Cris, I appreciate the response!

Nik

Reged: Fri
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Kathy B.]
      #53493 - Fri Sep 02 2005 10:03 AM

Looking for any information/condition of the houses around Sweet Gum Avenue in Ocean Springs.

Papa John

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: lcbox3]
      #53516 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:15 PM

My daughters family lived on the 1200 block of Spruce St. in Oceans Springs. They fled to Jacksonville NAS. Does anyone know the extent of damage on that street. What are the conditions in the area. Electricity? water? Sewer? I am not sure why we get no news of this area. Any information will help. I will pass it to them.

PamelalSmith
Unregistered

#53561 - Fri Sep 02 2005 02:58 PM

Looking for Deborah Cruthirds . . lived on Doe Street in Ocean Springs. Has anyone heard anything?
Thanks.
Pam

amanda
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: PamelalSmith]
      #53620 - Fri Sep 02 2005 10:14 PM

my dad picked up my grandparents in Ocean Springs earlier this morning... a couple hours after he left the neighbor called and said the power was back on. thought i'd share. i guess that means the phone lines are back up too unless she called on a cell phone... im not sure. that was 100 North Street in Ocean Springs btw.

tomwideman
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: PamelalSmith]
      #53654 - Sat Sep 03 2005 01:07 PM

Found Madeline Klein, 6129 Garraway Circle (cross street Handover), Ocean Springs, in excellent condition, not even a shingle missing from the house, just a few trees down. Praise God!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: amanda]
      #53656 - Sat Sep 03 2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

my dad picked up my grandparents in Ocean Springs earlier this morning... a couple hours after he left the neighbor called and said the power was back on. thought i'd share. i guess that means the phone lines are back up too unless she called on a cell phone... im not sure. that was 100 North Street in Ocean Springs btw.

That is just so amazing...and just south of the railroad tracks.

Everyone is just working so hard down there.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

kathyh

Reged: Wed
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: amanda]
      #53660 - Sat Sep 03 2005 04:50 PM

here is a link that I know can be very helpful for people that want to know what their area looks like but cant get in yet. The pictures are very clear for making out streets and landmarks if you know the area.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

Amanda
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: kathyh]
      #53679 - Sat Sep 03 2005 09:52 PM

Yes it amazing that that particular area of ocean springs is in such good condition. One reporter said that it might have been those little islands or whatever that took the brunt of the waves or made the damage less severe? Not sure. But it's just incredible, im still in shock really

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Amanda]
      #53708 - Sun Sep 04 2005 12:38 PM

My sister has a house on David Davis ..St or is it place? Her house is standing but only ductwork remains inside according
her husband who has called her twice. She can't call in but he has been able to call out twice though she lost
the signal twice in the middle of conversation. He rode out the storm in a friends house with his dog in the attic.

Sach

Reged: Sun
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: mojorox]
      #53718 - Sun Sep 04 2005 04:37 PM

Friends searching for news of Marie Driggs and family. Last known address was on Woodward Drive. Does anyone know the status of that area in Ocean Springs?

Thank you so much in advance. Sach,Lysa and all at AO.

Opuleez
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Sach]
      #53719 - Sun Sep 04 2005 05:03 PM

Hi there. I'm soglad I found this message board. My parents live on Chaucer in Ocean Spring, and have been told that the house is fine - missing a fence - but fine. Neighbors had a tress fall on the house, but otherwise the neighborhood is ok. My parents evacuated to Montgomery, AL, bu left there just a few hours ago trying to get back home. If I hear from them, I'll make sure to post here on whatever local conditions I can get out of them.

I do know that they have a friend who lives in Ocean Springs, and she has phone, power and water.I'm sorry though, I have no idea where she lives.

I'll keep hoping for the rest who've posted here to find their loved ones safe.

...Barb

longfamily

Reged: Sun
Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Amanda]
      #53721 - Sun Sep 04 2005 05:34 PM

wanted to pass along some limited info about ocean springs- my family has been able to get through to some of our relatives who waited out the storm. My aunt lives in the 8700 block of neptune and says only five houses are standing on her street, hers one of them (is wondering if tornadoes that followed are to blame?) she is now gathering photos, etc, and cleaning them up ... putting them on her porch to hopefully reunite with owners. she says it's pretty bad... but my grandparents and another aunt live on 1300 block of parktown drive and for the most part, she says, everything there is fine, just some tree damage, etc. finally, my cousin lives on balboa circle, which as i understand, is pretty close to the water, and in that general area things seem to be okay, too. we are just so thankful my grandparents evacuated ahead of the storm- and everyone who stayed is alive. i, too, have been frustrated by lack of ground pics out of the city- and can only guess that transportation in and out is still bad. i believe my aunt got power back on today... phones are spotty.

opuleez
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms [Re: Opuleez]
      #53737 - Sun Sep 04 2005 10:13 PM

My parents have returned home to a house with power, water and air conditioning (currently set at 70 degrees), but no land-line phone service, and very spotty cell service. They encountered no difficulty driving home on I10W, although they heard that I10E had a bridge (bridges) out and people were being re-routed.

The house on Chaucer Dr. is fine. No significant damage. No water, no broken windows, no fence (but hey, we already knew that!). The only items they can see that are damaged are the garage has no roof (or was it little roof?), the large tree in their front yard is dead - still standing, but definitely took a beating, and the roof to the house has taken some, but hopefully not terribly extensive damage.

Daddy said the rest of the subdivision looks like a hurricane hit (funny, I know). All the beautiful tree-lined drives are now formerly tree-lined drives, but those trees that fell have already been cleared, cut, and stacked off to the side. Mississippi is already rebuilding and cleaning up.

They are traveling to Mom's office tomorrow (in Biloxi) to survey the damage and collect what things of Mom's that they can. The office has taken significant damage, and will be relocating to the much smaller Jackson, MS office to continue business.

Walmart is back open, the banks are open for a few hours a day, and a few local gas stations have gas, although the lines are said to be anywhere from blocks to miles long (depending on who you want to believe).

Just thought I'd update y'all with some positives.

...Barb

j.Williams
Unregistered

Re: News of Ocean Springs, Ms..our home at Gulf Oaks on Front Beach.....is it still there? [Re: Opuleez]
      #53811 - Mon Sep 05 2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

http://www.wlox.com/Global/category.asp?C=1704&nav=6DJI

This is a news website that I believe serves the Ocean Springs area and the news is thus centered around that part of Mississippi.

Also look up the SATERN info request form for friends/relatives.

http://qso.com/satern/emailfrm.htm

I have been having trouble with the form however, when the page loads at all I get an error when i try to submit my info. I guess they are having internet trouble or not enough bandwidth. OR something.

I guess I might as well post the names of who I am looking for... I'm looking for my grandparents Charles & Mary McDavid who live in Ocean Springs.

Pllease email me if you know anything
ac.mcdavid@gmail.com

BOB MONACO
Unregistered

#53812 - Mon Sep 05 2005 05:44 PM

We spoke to the Conley's today. They are doing well. Kieren, Michelle, bo theparents who live ner them the Dyers and the Conleys are all fine. No flood damage just roof and wind damage at all three houses. Youucan get to them by land line as their phones in work but cells do not.

hippiethings
Unregistered

#53820 - Mon Sep 05 2005 09:21 PM

I have family there also. The Winn Dixie and Walmart are open for business. The retirement center on Porter suffered minimal damage. The Manhatten Grill lost it's roof. The old trees along downtown really suffered. I hear that the water areas are wiped out. The immediate downtown is fairly OK from what I've heard.

jamesmurray
Unregistered

#54060 - Wed Sep 07 2005 12:32 PM

Michie, Are you talking about Joe and Anna. Please find a phone number for them and email us back at karen2murray@aol.com. Let them know that their neighbors, James and Karen are worried. Please contact us. We evacuated to Huntsville, AL.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 24004

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 28, 2024, 8:50:21 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center