Archives 2002-2009 >> 2006 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Nov 30th and Beyond
      #63467 - Sun Nov 06 2005 10:13 AM

This is not a prediction but a feeling that with the way the hurricane season has gone, that it would not be surprising to see the official hurricane season end, with a storm building in the gulf of Mexico. I could not possibly say whether it would be entirely tropical or not. My guess is the experts would say it was a hybrid or nontropical. But, something about this season has been "in your face", unpredictable intensities, destinies, and the only thing predictable about it was that it was going to be unusual. I have noticed the ant beds and birds and some heightened nature activity. I am not sure if it is a cold front behavior, the tornados in Indianna, or earthquakes in some obscure area of the world. But the activity is there.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Broward County
Re: Nov 30th and Beyond [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #63469 - Sun Nov 06 2005 04:20 PM

I hear you. Even the way that I am feeling, and I notice my animals are a bit high strung. I pray that there are no more storms this season we were just devistated by Wilma still waiting on the ins agent so we can try to start rebuilding what we lost. I told my husband if we were affected by another storm this season we were outta here. South Florida that is. I hear that around rockwall texas there are no tornadoes hurricanes or anything devistating? Is it true? Where can you go to escape mother natures devistation? Any suggestions? Texas at least some parts are looki ng good not to mention that cost of homes is much cheaper.

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
Re: Nov 30th and Beyond [Re: jusforsean]
      #63488 - Tue Nov 08 2005 08:33 AM

You cant go anywhere to avoid mother natures fury. You can live in a place with hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes or blizzards. Pick your poison. All I know is I'd rather live in a place where mother nature lets you know she's coming...and I hate the cold.

HomesteadGirl

Reged: Thu
Loc: Homestead, Florida
Re: Nov 30th and Beyond [Re: Myles]
      #63540 - Fri Nov 11 2005 02:00 PM

Friends of mine had their "late model" trailer's roof tore off during Wilma. They're moving to Las Vegas. Matter of fact the wife is leaving today and after insurance check comes in the husband is gone. I guess I don't hear about any weather events there. But I agree, if we have to deal with mother nature's fury, I'd rather know about it well in advance (as with hurricanes) than to be woken up by sirens blowing (maybe) 10 minutes before a tornado rips your house off its foundation or to be burried under 3 feet of snow that doesn't melt for months. I grew up in WI up till about 6 1/2 years ago. One year we had a severe snowstorm and that summer a small town near mine was nearly blown off the map by an F5 tornado.

Anyway, to get back to the subject matter, we all thought last year was bad with Florida getting affected by 4 major storms, and we were proven that this year was worse. Is this precedent for what is to come next year? In November 2006 will we be saying, boy last year was nothing compared to this year? I guess that remains to be seen. God help us. We're running out of places to go on vacation.

Lets all of us keep our fingers crossed.

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
don't be silly [Re: HomesteadGirl]
      #63542 - Fri Nov 11 2005 07:56 PM

While, no, you can’t predict any tornado’s occurrence as we don’t really know what causes them in the first place, we DO know the prerequisites required for their formation. Nothing just happens, and if you take the time to stay up with the weather, you shouldn’t be caught by total surprise nearly as often.
For example, if I were living in the Ohio or Tennessee valley right now, I would be a trifle concerned this weekend. Of course, you can’t board up and evaq every little shortwave, but I can’t see why it is so unrealistic to have the flashlights ready or something.

It has nothing to do with what the Squirrels are doing with their nuts… what part of grandma is aching today... or whatever the heck the Farmer’s Almanac says. Just take the time and be in the know, and you will be much better off. I think the answers to most of the world's problems lies in education.

... if that made any sense.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sat Nov 12 2005 08:04 AM)

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: don't be silly [Re: Lysis]
      #63548 - Sat Nov 12 2005 01:17 PM

c'mon jeff, don't be mean. there is some evidence that nature and critters and such can somehow sense (maybe something genetically hard-coded) upcoming seasons... like the woolly bear caterpillars and such growing extra fuzz. not to say it gets published in nature or ecology or anything like that.
far as avoiding hurricanes, yeah, moving to nevada might help. if the idea of living in a desert doesn't bother ya... i'm more of a fan of lush terrain, more than twelve inches of rain a year and such. there's just something about having water and trees around that's comforting, ya know...

HomesteadGirl

Loc: Homestead, Florida
Re: don't be silly [Re: HanKFranK]
      #63602 - Mon Nov 14 2005 11:25 AM

I didn't say I was moving to the desert, that's not my thing. I also prefer the tropics, regardless of the hurricane or 2 - or 10. It doesn't matter much, I pretty much live in a fortress. It made it through Andrew without much damage. It'll make it through anything, especially with shutters.

Now about the animals, I believe they have a natural sense to avoid danger. I've seen it several times on National Geographic and even years and years ago with the Wild Kingdom. I believe they are more sensitive to atmospheric pressure changes than humans and therefore can react naturally to the weather occurances. They actually "hunker down" without the help of Bryan Norcorss.

As far as being prepared for a tornado, yes you should have a flashlight ready if there is a tornado watch in effect - in case you do lose power. But a flashlight will do nothing if your house actually gets hit by one. And you don't board up, you grab what you can and head for the basement (or safe room). Most people up north have basements, unless you live in a trailer. My whole point about the tornado/hurricane debate is hurricanes you get approximately 2-5 days notice before you get nailed. A tornado is a hit or miss. Could get you and not your neighbor and you maybe get a 5-20 minute notice, if you get a notice at all. I'll take the extra day or two to prepare.

So, what about the upcoming (posted Monday morning) Gamma!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5504

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 19, 2024, 6:59:40 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center