General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
Tropical Cyclone Clare
      #64458 - Tue Jan 10 2006 01:30 PM

Since there's nothing going on here I figured I'd bring this up. On the NW side of Australia there was a tropical cyclone that made landfall yesterday. Everywhere I went, like the navy site, weather underground, Accuweather, it says this was a strong tropical storm at most with 70 mph winds. I was looking at the sat images of it and thinking to myself there’s no way this is only a tropical storm. Then I found this Australian weather site, weatherzone.com.au, and it had a lot more info on the cyclone including that this was a cat 3 storm with 190 kph(118 mph) winds and a central pressure of 960 mb. The site looks pretty credible so I just wonder what’s going on here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Tropical Cyclone Clare [Re: Myles]
      #64464 - Thu Jan 12 2006 02:05 PM

I took a look at the site...and the storm. The site is not official - and the Cyclone was certainly not Cat III. Clare peaked at 09/0000Z with sustained winds of 60 kts and gusts to 75kts, i.e., a strong tropical storm. Follow-on news reports from Perth indicated nothing unusual about Clare (except that Perth was likely to exceed its normal January rainfall total in one day).

I cross-checked against the storm bulletins (courtesy of the University of Hawaii) and found a maximum of 60G75kts. A check of satellite imagery from NRL showed that Clare never formed an eye, so even minimal sustained hurricane strength was not likely.
Hope this helps.
ED

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Tropical Cyclone Clare [Re: Myles]
      #64465 - Thu Jan 12 2006 06:51 PM

Some of the confusion may be a result of the different scale that the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) uses to represent the severity of a given tropical cyclone. A category 3 cyclone on their scale corresponds to what we call a category 1 hurricane. Specifically, wind gusts of 170 km/hr translate to gusts of about 106mph, or sustained winds of 75mph (40% reduction). I believe that the BoM advisories -- which differ from the JTWC (and other tropical warning center) advisories -- classified Clare as a "Severe Tropical Cyclone," which is our equivalent of a hurricane, a minimal one in this case.

More information is available at http://www.bom.gov.au/catalogue/warnings/WarningsInformation_TC_Ed.shtml

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: SW FL
Re: Tropical Cyclone Clare [Re: Clark]
      #64466 - Fri Jan 13 2006 02:03 AM

Thanks for the info. It makes sense that it was a strong tropical storm or a minimal hurricane. I thought everyone used the Saffir-Simpson scale, but I was obviously wrong. I wonder what the 960 number repersented. Im trying to find out what the unit was but I thought it was equal to a millibar. Obviously wrong here too, just another difference in what unit system countries use.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5543

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 9, 2024, 9:20:17 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center