General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BillyG60

Reged: Mon
Loc:
Re: longer look [Re: cjzydeco]
      #68608 - Mon Jul 31 2006 02:54 PM

I also grew up on St Simons Island, and also being a surfer(yes this is surf in Ga sometimes) I can tell you that the economic impact of A direct hit on St Simons and the Golden Isles will be catastrophic.

Building codes (mentioned earlier) are no where near those for Florida. Storm surge will be a Major problem. Tides fluctuate nearly 2-3 ft on any given day, at High tide on St Simons there is really no beach at all to speak of. The highest point on St Simons is about 13-15 above sea level I believe.

Just do a MLS search for St Simons and try to find a house for under 300k, it is nearly impossible.

Now add 15 ft of storm surge onto the equation and think of just the damage from floods (not a lot of the older houses are built on stilts like the outer banks).

Also mentioned earlier, there is 1 causeway to get on and off the island: and traffic just suxs trying to get to and from work/ school during the fall---just imagine if all the residents tried to get off it at once---Floyd in 99 was no joy!!

Yes this place is way over due and I hope it never happens cause I still got friends and Family in the area.

I remember seeing pics from Dora where Downtown Brunswick is under 5 ft of water, and an old roommates mother has pics of the island where they are in boats in the Middle of the street on Broadway during thaat time.

Billy
Melbourne , Florida

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18441

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 18, 2024, 2:07:02 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center