News Talkback >> 2006 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
chris on the roam
      #68765 - Tue Aug 01 2006 12:36 PM

well, we could have a meager tropical storm that fizzles and we could have a real menace in the works. tropical storm chris is on a track that should take it near florida in about 5 days. that's assuming that something doesn't kill it, or that some unforseen break in the ridge traps it out in the atlantic.
my personal take is that it will work it's way into one of those upper col regions with outlfow channels from upper lows nearby, as the official forecast has noted, and that it will ride mostly west under the ridge in an intensification regime. modest shear and subsidence are being introduced to it in progressively weaker quantities, and it has survived them for days as a developing system and become organized in spite of them. to me, all this adds up to a hurricane hit on the atlantic coast of florida.. probably the southern half of the peninsula, but maybe a little north of the official track. that's what i was floating with some people yesterday afternoon, and that's what i'm not-so-comfortably going to float on the forum now.
mike c doesn't really dig the mongering, overzealous sorts of forecasts... and this is definitely beyond the official position the site would take...
but i'm thinking we'll see a double landfall hurricane out of this... the ridge fixed over the interior southeast with a weakness progged over northern mexico... think it'll work it's way across the northern gulf and make another hit on the western gulf coast (with more emphasis on texas than louisiana).
anyway, this'll all look real dumb if the storm winks out, but is what i expect will happen if it gets itself together.
HF 1636z01august

hey now, 60 odd reads and no replies? surely somebody disagrees... or has a better idea.

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Aug 01 2006 02:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: chris on the roam [Re: HanKFranK]
      #68839 - Tue Aug 01 2006 06:34 PM

Doesn't seem like it's fizzling or "winking out"...so unfortunatly you seem to be right on track so far. I believe there's one more message to come out from recon...hope that info gets put into the models in time for the 18Z runs.

BTW...good for you for putting it out there like that.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: chris on the roam [Re: HanKFranK]
      #68898 - Tue Aug 01 2006 10:31 PM

Well except for an big uh-oh moment last night after James' dissipation forecast, thinking I must be really wrong to be so far on the other end of the spectrum, I've been bullish on this one since Sat morning, and pretty much in lock-step with Stace's discussions.

Earlier, this weekend, I emailed someone I thought it would 'go the distance' and likely make it to the GOM. I have more confidence in that scenario now than ever, and unless it gets mowed down by an ULL encounter, I expect it to reach major hurricane status and be a bit of a nail-biter.

Note another pop of convection now pushing north over the center (about 0100Z).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3553

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 18, 2024, 6:50:12 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center