Archives 2000s >> 2006 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Posts: 468
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Quietest Season Since 1997
      #74216 - Fri Dec 08 2006 09:16 AM

Not so quiet next year, predictors say El Nino will weaken for next years hurricane season.. This will be interesting

"A return to high hurricane activity in 2007 will likely follow the below-average 2006 hurricane season, according to climate forecaster Tropical Storm Risk (TSR).
TSR says a 76% likelihood exists that U.S. land-falling hurricane activity in 2007 will fall among the top one-third of years historically.
The study was led by the Benfield UCL Hazard Research Centre at College University London. Some of TSR's long-range hurricane predictions include:
• a 79% probability of an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season, a 15% probability of a near-normal season and only a 6% chance of a below-normal season;
• 16 tropical storms for the Atlantic basin as a whole, with nine of these being hurricanes and four intense hurricanes; and
• five tropical storm strikes on the U.S., two of which will be hurricanes.
One factor influencing TSR's 2007 hurricane forecast includes the expected values in August and September for the speed of trade winds that blow westward across the tropical Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea.
In addition, the temperatures of the seawaters between West Africa and the Caribbean, where many of the hurricanes develop, will play a role.
TSR lead scientist Mark Saunders noted that "the 2006 hurricane season is atypical of years since 1950 and should not reflect badly on the general capability of forecasts.
"The below-average 2006 hurricane season was due to the presence of considerable African dry air and Saharan dust during August and September, which inhibited thunderstorm occurrence and therefore tropical storm development," TSR noted.
Also, TSR pointed to the unexpected onset of El Niño conditions from mid-September. "There is no precedent for these factors together having been so influential before"

Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8056

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated October 2, 2022, 6:45:29 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center