General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
HDOB KML file?
      #77863 - Mon Sep 03 2007 01:10 PM

Wondering if anyone knows enough about making Google Earth KML files and can cache HDOB data messages (URNT15's) to create a track of each recon flight for loading into Google Earth automatically?

Looks like the format is fairly strait forward to make a spaghetti plot (see http://www.paulseabury.com/models.kmz - change extension to ZIP, unzip, then open in a text editor).

I'm tired of punching in these datapoints by hand constantly

The biggest trick will be identifying when the same plane starts a new flight and dropping the old track data. We can easily identify the plane via the n-number data given.

I could write a parser to turn the HDOB message into the XML format of the KML if someone is able to build a auto-retrieval script. I can't run it on my own server as it is still running PHP4

We would need to store it to a file for download, so it's a little more complex that just writing it to serve on-the-fly

--RC

Edited by Random Chaos (Mon Sep 03 2007 01:14 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3468

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 19, 2024, 2:39:35 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center