General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Hurricane from Holland

Reged: Wed
Wave off Florida Should Bring Rain... Tropical Depression 13 Forms in Southwest Gulf of Mexico
      #79011 - Wed Sep 26 2007 04:36 PM

Hey,
I from Holland. I like to watch hurricanes.
But why are they 2 cat. 5 storms and so many tropical storm ?

And karen could be a categorie 2. There are warm waters there.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TampaRand
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tampa FL
Re: Wave off Florida Should Bring Rain... Tropical Depression 13 Forms in Southwest Gulf of Mexico [Re: Hurricane from Holland]
      #79028 - Thu Sep 27 2007 12:51 AM

As to your first question, I don't know. I don't know if anybody really does have a solid answer on that except to say that maybe there has been a lot of vertical shear inhibiting development of some of these. Also, several have just formed so close to land, that they didn't have a big opportunity for intensification.

Your second question: Karen, while in some warm water and has enough fuel, is facing some very large challenges with an approaching trough and a lot of shearing winds. Those winds shear the tops off the clouds and inhibit convection from firing around the Low Level Center. It will likely intensify to Category 1 strength, but then encounters 3-4 days of shear and that will knock it back down to Tropical Storm Strength and maybe eventually kill it in the Atlantic maritime. I don't think there's anything solid on it dissipating, but there is a greater chance it never re-gains hurricane status.

--------------------
Amateur Weather Prognosticator and Cane Junkie.
www.hurricanewx.net

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3576

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated May 4, 2024, 11:26:06 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center