News Talkback >> 2008 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands
      #80077 - Tue Jun 10 2008 12:47 PM

Active tropical wave with signs of a weak mid-level circulation near 11N 53W at 10/15Z moving to the west to west northwest at 12 knots. Although SSTs are warm enough at 28C, the wave is moving into an area of increasing westerly windshear and additional strengthening seems rather unlikely. At the moment its just a feature to keep a casual eye on.
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80078 - Tue Jun 10 2008 01:16 PM

That westerly shear seems to be a little less than it was last week. However, it is an interesting little system to watch. The weather continues to be rather unsettled in the western Caribbean which is the more likely spawning ground this time of year.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: campeche, east atlantic [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80081 - Tue Jun 10 2008 01:51 PM

One area of interest in Atlantic, approaching Caribbean from Central Atlantic, Tropical Wave with good steady convection at about 53W 13N, with a little bit of a spin maybe in the NW portion of the convection.

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum. We have started a new season and its time to brush up on posting protocols. All Users need to take the time to review the Forum Descriptions before posting. In the Main Page News Talkback you can only respond to topics that are covered in the current Main Page leadoff article. Please assist the Mods by attempting to put your post in the correct Forum. Thanks)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jun 10 2008 02:32 PM)

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80082 - Tue Jun 10 2008 03:39 PM

Yes, this wave out and just east of the Windwards is a little lost, given the time of year, however is going through a nice convective spurt this afternoon. Granted, that it may well be the shear itself that is helping to flare up the convection, but I too think that the shear might be a little less than in previous days. Moreso, it looked to me based on earlier run of the 6Z GFS - 200mb, that the upper air was definately relaxing with time, and that about 48 hours, was 5-10 knots in the E. Central Caribbean. Curiously, the energy with this wave was forecast by the GFS models to pretty much get pulled up and to the north at, or just east of the Lessor Antilles. Considering that this is a shallow system at best, I would assume that the steering would be more at the 850mb to surface levels, and I would assume that an overall west to WNW motion to simply continue. If this wave continues to mainain a decent signiture, and in fact work its way into the E. Caribbean, than perhaps it can sustain a bursting pattern for a couple of days, and then upper air could be conducive for further development.

Talk about a weird year............., imagine a second storm of the season, in early June, deepening in the Eastern Caribbean of all places?? Not exactly textbook, especially given the typical void that S. America usually creates out of the far E. Caribbean. Some of the systems that have deepened while in the Eastern Caribbean, have been nasty little buggers, over the years.

Probably little to worry about, but is interesting to see the few early healthy Atlantic tropical waves thus far.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: weathernet]
      #80085 - Tue Jun 10 2008 04:23 PM

Latest visible imagery would seem to indicate a possible developing LLCC within the convective mass, based on low cloud lines.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: Rich B]
      #80086 - Tue Jun 10 2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Latest visible imagery would seem to indicate a possible developing LLCC within the convective mass, based on low cloud lines.

I don't quite see that yet and there is a fair amount of westerly shear near that system, but the graphical forecast shows less than 20 percent probability this afternoon. Also, the flair up in the SW Caribbean this afternoon is rather impressive. It could be an interesting week in the tropics.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

DarleneCane
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: MichaelA]
      #80087 - Tue Jun 10 2008 08:12 PM

It has been persistent and it has grown in size. Catches the eye. Avila/Landsea gave it a rather long write up in the 5pm that would imply something could come from it possibly. Will be interesting to see how it does overnight especially with regard to a visible center forming vs a large sprawling tropical wave.

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: DarleneCane]
      #80088 - Tue Jun 10 2008 11:35 PM

Let's take a quick look at the latest, 00Z-8PM EDT, RAOB or weather balloon observations from the Eastern Caribbean.

TJSJ-San Juan, P.R.
PRES HGHT TEMP DEWP RH DD WETB DIR SPD
mb m____C___C__%___C__C deg_ knt
850 1543 16.4 14.5 89 1.9 15.1 035 3kt
700 3173 8.2 -2.8 46 11.0 2.7 350 10kt
500 5880 -7.3 -22.3 29 15.0 -11.9 355 11kt

So winds vary from the NNE at 3kt at 5000ft to NNW at 11kt at 18000ft.
Relative Humidity drops from 89% at 5000ft to 29% at 18000ft.

TFFR-Pointe-a-Pitre - Le Raizet, Guadeloupe
850 1542 16.2 12.6 79 3.6 13.8 095 6kt
700 3175 8.2 -3.8 42 12.0 2.3 190 7kt
500 5880 -5.9 -21.9 27 16.0 -11.0 345 6kt

Here we have a good bit of directional shear in place.
5000ft ESE at 6kt.
10000ft SSW at 7 kt
18000ft NNW at 6kt.

Relative Humidity drops from 79% at 5000ft to 27% at 18000ft.
In both of the above cases there is dry air aloft.

The RAOB or weather balloon observations from TTPP-Piarco International Airport, Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago and TBPB-Grantley Adams, Barbados were from 8AM EDT this morning.

Thanks to tha Unidata Program at UCAR and The College of Dupage for the data.
Sounding Link

allan
Weather Master

Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: danielw]
      #80094 - Wed Jun 11 2008 12:25 PM

the wave is surprisenly Invest 91L

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

ednva
Unregistered

Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: allan]
      #80095 - Wed Jun 11 2008 02:22 PM

According to the 2:00 statement, it's poorly organized and will hit Venezuela tonight...so why bother to make it an invest?

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: ednva]
      #80102 - Thu Jun 12 2008 04:37 PM

Well NRL still has 91L up, and seems like it is the disorganised but pretty active wave just approaching the Lesser Antilles. Certainly some intense convection having blown up during the past few hours with this wave. Additionaly, there is some notable activity in the GOM too. Quite alot of activity for this time of year really!

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 7115

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 25, 2024, 7:14:03 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center