Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
srquirrely
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: SARASOTA
ACTIVE T(R)OPICS
      #80139 - Fri Jun 20 2008 03:10 PM

Helllooo... ???
Even without wave-mongering I'm truly surprised to see NO active topics on this normally voluble site.
With wave-like activity in the GOM, West of the Leewards and East of the Windwards I expected to find SOME discussion here of current and/or forecast conditions.
I'm only an interested observer of many years, and I do enjoy reading all of you posts, authoritative or speculative. Yet patterns seeming (to me) much more suggestive of an active season than only 1 week ago go unmentioned.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hurikid
Unregistered

Re: ACTIVE T(R)OPICS [Re: srquirrely]
      #80140 - Fri Jun 20 2008 05:32 PM

I must agree with you. It seems no-one here is taking these waves seriously(which I could understand due to the fact that these waves are in a horrid environment for development). The thing is, the fact that such waves such as the one which passed through my island(Barbados) today, are so organized coming from the west coast of Africa. It's very startling and maybe a sign of things to come

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: ACTIVE T(R)OPICS [Re: Hurikid]
      #80142 - Fri Jun 20 2008 08:03 PM

While there may not be a lot of discussion... which is slightly unusual here. There are plenty of us watching the waves as they move westward.
I've just spent the better part of 20 minutes looking at the satellite, buoy and radar data from the Eastern Caribbean.
While I'm sure that there is some wind shear present. The current VAD at San Juan,P.R. profile is showing a ESE wind at 25kts at both 4 and 5 thousand feet. While the winds above that altitude are less than 10 kts. Not indicative in itself but something to watch. Current Radar Cloud tops are at 51,000 ft near the 248nm periphery of the San Juan Radar. I did notice a wind flag at 4000 ft at 2300Z on the VAD of 40kts frrom the ENE.

The buoys are reflecting a tropical wave passage to some degree. Mainly in a wind heading change and an increase up to 23 kts gusting to 33 knots last hour ( 23Z).

And the waves do appear to be a slight bit better formed than they should be at this time of year. So relax and keep your eye on them. But don't forget to watch the other areas also.
The satellite photo at the top right corner of the page is the best place to keep a once-in-a-while peek at the inactive tropics. Once a system starts to spin up we will trim the sat shot down to the active area.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 4045

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 19, 2024, 3:37:20 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center