News Talkback >> 2008 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Docster

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Spaghetti" Model Plots for the Atlantic Basin
      #84177 - Fri Sep 05 2008 06:49 PM

What Spaghetti Model(s) "tools" do you follow, based on your "experience(s)", or the top 5 Spaghetti models you place your confidence in?

Edited by Docster (Fri Sep 05 2008 08:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Spaghetti" Model Plots for the Atlantic Basin [Re: Docster]
      #84198 - Fri Sep 05 2008 08:41 PM

There are just so many different models, and even here there is some subjectivity in which models are most preferred. Those that I find to be the most useful and those that I believe NHC has greatest faith in, include GFS, UK, EURO, BAMD, GFDL, HWRF. Not sure if all of these are displayed on each spagetti plot map. EURO is typically only found at their site alone. A few that I would almost always ignore include CMC, CLP, LBAR, and BAMS. Without going into an extensive explanation, I hope this helps.

Take care,
Andy

cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Spaghetti" Model Plots for the Atlantic Basin [Re: Docster]
      #84207 - Fri Sep 05 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

What Spaghetti Model(s) "tools" do you follow, based on your "experience(s)", or the top 5 Spaghetti models you place your confidence in?

The short answer is none, some, all, and very few some of the time.

If you are trying to reinvent the wheel and out-forecast the NHC (we all do it!) it can be a learning experience, and fun. But if you are merely trying to make your hurricane preparedness plans around models, my advice is always DON'T! Go with the official forecasts from the NHC, your local National Weather Service, the main page here on CFHC, and some of the reputable commercial weather forecasting services only.. some of these could be your better local TV mets, and I always highly recommend TWC. When it comes to forecasting and explaining hurricanes, Dr. Lyons is pretty hard to beat.

Docster

Loc:
Re: Spaghetti" Model Plots for the Atlantic Basin [Re: weathernet]
      #84216 - Fri Sep 05 2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

There are just so many different models, and even here there is some subjectivity in which models are most preferred. Those that I find to be the most useful and those that I believe NHC has greatest faith in, include GFS, UK, EURO, BAMD, GFDL, HWRF. Not sure if all of these are displayed on each spagetti plot map. EURO is typically only found at their site alone. A few that I would almost always ignore include CMC, CLP, LBAR, and BAMS. Without going into an extensive explanation, I hope this helps.

Take care,
Andy

Thanks, your reply it was very helpful to me. I got to much Spaghetti (information) with so little Meat Sauce (time) to ponder over it....

Regards,
Doc
(who's still interested in hearing other opinions)

Docster

Loc:
Re: Spaghetti" Model Plots for the Atlantic Basin [Re: cieldumort]
      #84219 - Fri Sep 05 2008 11:26 PM

Indeed!

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Doc

Neverwinter

Loc: PA
Re: Spaghetti" Model Plots for the Atlantic Basin [Re: weathernet]
      #84776 - Wed Sep 10 2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Take care,
Andy

Very nice info! And I think it can also be based on your experience with that model?

--------------------
Hurricane Ike

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ike jogging North? [Re: Neverwinter]
      #84777 - Wed Sep 10 2008 11:36 AM

This is probably the best place for this post, but the last frame of satellite pictures I've seen from several different sources gave me the impression that IKE is north and east of the last fix a bit.
Anybody else seeing that? I think it must be an illusion as there does not seem to be any reason for that to be occurring as a trend.

--------------------
doug

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ike jogging North? [Re: doug]
      #84780 - Wed Sep 10 2008 11:45 AM

Take it back! not happenning. Sorry

--------------------
doug

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *
Topic views: 13106

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 18, 2024, 8:49:19 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center