News Talkback >> 2009 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Danny Lounge
      #86462 - Mon Aug 24 2009 02:41 PM

This is the lounge for 92L and whatever comes of it. Discussing your thoughts and models, things are more open here.

Models for 92L are interesting, the CMC for example takes 92L into Maryland/ Washington DC as a Category 4 storm, others take it out to sea.

Most of the time the early model runs are very wrong, but it's a good idea to have a watch on the system in case.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: 92L Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #86463 - Mon Aug 24 2009 02:58 PM

I think it will come close to Hatteras and then recurve, but a lot depends on how quickly it develops and how far west it gets. Even with recurvature, it's probably going to make landfall somewhere if it gets within 200-300 miles of the coast.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Edited by Ed in Va (Mon Aug 24 2009 03:34 PM)

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: 92L Lounge [Re: Ed in Va]
      #86466 - Mon Aug 24 2009 05:03 PM

Today being the 17th anniversary of Andrew making landfall in Homestead I thought it would be appropriate to place these comments in the 92L lounge to remind us how rapidly things can change with these systems this time of year. I am in no way suggesting that synoptics are even remotely similar to what was going on during Andrews trek through the Bahamas only that rapid intensification can happen with the right conditions. Keep in mind Andrew went from a tropical storm to a cat 5 hurricane between 65W and 75W at a similar latitude to where 92L is lurking. Until/if 92L evolves into a closed low obviously it can't intensify into anything. So we need to stay vigilant and watch even these seemingly doomed systems, UKMET had 92L dissipating earlier but, way to early with this one.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: 92L Lounge [Re: craigm]
      #86485 - Tue Aug 25 2009 12:06 PM

High noon on the 25th and it looks as if near 22.5/63.5 something may be popping. Movement to the NW. If so GFS seems to be all over it, and makes a threat to NE in a couple of days.

--------------------
doug

hwoodw
Unregistered

Re: 92L Lounge [Re: doug]
      #86487 - Tue Aug 25 2009 12:22 PM

Totally agree with you on that one. Looks to be a small yet tight LLC that has closed off and is shooting off to the NW near 22.5/63.5. I believe it is set for a recon this afternoon. Wouldn't be supprised if we jump right to a TS.

cbnc
Unregistered

Re: 92L Lounge [Re: hwoodw]
      #86489 - Tue Aug 25 2009 12:53 PM

Do we need to be worried here in Wilmington NC?

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: 92L Lounge [Re: cbnc]
      #86490 - Tue Aug 25 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Do we need to be worried here in Wilmington NC?

Right now? Just keep updated on it. Interesting: The WV loop of the Eastern US shows that the trough that steered Bill away from the US coast left a cut-off low moving SW near Louisiana, but there is sufficient SWestery flow up the East coast that may keep 92L off shore as well. Hmmm....maybe keep an eye on the Bay of Campeche/SW GOM, too? A lot of shear there, though.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 92L Lounge [Re: MichaelA]
      #86524 - Wed Aug 26 2009 12:02 PM

As of now, I still don't think the models have a good handle on Danny. GFS is more into new england (specifically east end of Long island into Southeast Mass) as of 12Z, but Danny is a odd hybrid, only slightly more tropical than subtropical, and the situation with the Upper Level Low is Complex.

I think models will shift more west later, but I'm not sure how much. Something is off with this system, and I'm still trying to figure out what that is.

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Loxahatchee, FL
Re: 92L Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #86525 - Wed Aug 26 2009 12:23 PM

i wouldnt count out a westardly track yet either. the next two updates will tell us something. its still moving to the WNW. until we see a visible bump to the north (much like we did with bill, when it was moving NW for the longest time) i wont be convinced. i dont see that yet. not on the ir, not on the microwave, and not on the water vapor. i have to say though, this storm is moving fairly quickly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4798

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 28, 2024, 5:30:55 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center