General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Interesting area near Naples 9/5/09
      #86887 - Sat Sep 05 2009 04:10 PM

Saw a mention on the front page about this and have been looking at it on various satellites. Definitely a strong area of convection with a little twist to it just off of Southwest Florida. Water temps are incredibly high and the atmosphere is still juiced by leftovers of a frontal trough in the neighborhood. No mention of this feature by the local METs. What does everyone think about it?

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Interesting area near Naples 9/5/09 [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #86888 - Sat Sep 05 2009 04:20 PM

Funny you should mention that. I just looked at our local weather radar and it looked a bit odd. I'm inland Collier County; we had strong storms earlier this afternoon and are in and out of the rain (we need that). Strange weather patterns indeed.

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Interesting area near Naples 9/5/09 [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #86889 - Sat Sep 05 2009 07:25 PM

Reply to Lamar in Plant City - I commented on this earlier but it was this morning. At 250mb and 300mb (35,000 and 30,000 feet) there is a sharp shortwave that is very close to being cutoff. Thunderstorm activity is on the east side of the feature thus explains the slow northward drift. The area has very low wind shear aloft but is forecasted to become hostile in 48 to 72 hours so unless this feature moves over the Atlantic it won't survive in the GOM. Yes, there is an old frontal boundary in the area, a place for convergence at the surface and difluence aloft supporting vertical rise. If there's something there, the environment for the short term is conducive, but hostile thereafter, I hope this helps.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4079

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 19, 2024, 6:26:00 PM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center