Archives 2010s >> 2010 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
GFS for mid week
      #89896 - Thu Oct 14 2010 03:42 PM

Just been looking at a GFS run that blows something upp in the west central carribean by mid week. Any thoughts?

--------------------
doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dustymyretard
Unregistered

Re: GFS for mid week [Re: doug]
      #89897 - Fri Oct 15 2010 12:14 AM

Yeah the model looks like a hurricane may be cranking up out there by Wednesday or Thursday then head on to affect Jamaica, Cuba and The Bahamas maybe even Florida.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: GFS for mid week [Re: dustymyretard]
      #89899 - Fri Oct 15 2010 12:59 AM

While the GFS and NOGAPS have been developing a system, I think that its way too early for any track or intensity specifics based on a couple of model runs. The 15/00Z run of the GFS does form a weaker system from an area of lower pressure north of Panama early next week, but moves it inland and dissipates it over Nicaragua/Honduras by mid week. Until (and if) an actual system forms, the global models will be all over the place on track and intensity from run to run - and essentially useless from a forecasting standpoint.
ED

CLWHurrice
Unregistered

Re: GFS for mid week [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89901 - Fri Oct 15 2010 01:34 PM

12z GFS run still showing a system develop. How many model runs must occur until the NHC takes notice?

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: GFS for mid week [Re: CLWHurrice]
      #89902 - Fri Oct 15 2010 02:10 PM

Trust me, the NHC does "pay attention" to model support. That said, just like you and I...., certainly something to watch for but beyond that, nobody is going to go out and put up the 'ol shutters, fill the gas tank, etc. The very fact that the same conducive conditions prevail ( warm SST's, low pressure, light upper level winds, etc ), while in a year that also supported the development of previous systems this year, then mix in the La Nina variable which would lend to potential for late season storms........., at minimum would make me think that given the short term 60-96 hour forecast time frame would indicate a better than 50/50 chance of "something" developing.

At the moment, NOGAPS, NAM, Canadian, are in some degree of agreement with the GFS. Will be interesting to see if the Euro ( which has not shown new development here thus far ) comes on board too.

I have come to the conclusion though, that where I may place more trust into an alliance of model support indicating cyclogenesis, in no way can one anticipate accuracy of strength this far out - and absolutely cannot buy into any degree of accuracy regarding exact track. This said, because the Euro tends to be somewhat more conservative in developing "ghost systems", and my perception of its better global handle on "the big picture" , I will tend to pay greater attention when it continues to advertise development ( with other model support ), and give some credence to the Euro's forecast storm track and motion. If the Euro consistently anticipates a strong storm to approach and we are within a window of 120 hours or so........, I start to count how many cans of spagetti-O's we have on hand!

IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged: Wed
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: GFS for mid week [Re: weathernet]
      #89903 - Sat Oct 16 2010 08:44 AM

well put. when the euro and "me-gut" feelings are in synch, i pay attention.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

vpbob21
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Ohio
Re: GFS for mid week [Re: doug]
      #89905 - Sun Oct 17 2010 01:31 AM

The area has been designated invest 99L. There seems to be a broad low just off the coast of Panama, around 10/81. The good news is that most of the models seem to have shifted west and take it into Central America before it can develop much. In fact the GFS which has been the most gung-ho on development now on its 00Z run takes it across Central America and develops it on the Pacific side. Things could change again but right now the threat (if there ever really was one) of a Western Caribbean hurricane seems to be dwindling.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6891

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated April 20, 2024, 9:14:49 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center