General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
Mid/Upper Level Hints for 2011 Atlantic Season
      #90257 - Sat May 21 2011 11:18 AM

I thought that "The Tropics Today", might be a good forum for any thoughts on our present day - mid and upper level conditions over the CONUS and Tropics, and how they might translate into early season tropical cyclone development and general motion. It would certainly be interesting if anyone has taken the time ( or would care too ) to compare last year at this time to "current day" features ( i.e. TUTT condtions, overall 200mb flow impacting shear, strength & positioning of N. Atlantic/ "Bermuda High", strength of westerlies, etc. ).

Am noticing the first of many long ( and I mean very long ) range GFS runs hinting of early season development in the S.W. Caribean. Both the 0Z and the 6Z runs starting at around 216 hours, are showing development of a closed system. Without taking a great deal of time to really start to analyze steering and upper level conditions for this early season system ( or model "ghost system" ), I did notice the lack of what I seemed to remember "last year", as a fairly persistant TUTT feature stretching from Puerto Rico and points northward.

Near term mid level models do certainly seem to indicate overall troughing into the deep south of the U.S. and fairly solid ridging in the northern Atlantic. The Atlantic season has yet to begin, and mid level and upper level conditions are constantly evolving, yet I seem to see nuances of conditions which would appear to bear out why various agencies ( both public or private ) are calling for potentially greater risk to the U.S. this season, as compared to the past couple of years. Would love to hear thoughts from anyone with "year to year" condition analysis.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2606

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 29, 2024, 3:04:08 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center