Archives 2010s >> 2012 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Area of Interest: Hurricane Kirk
      #93450 - Fri Aug 24 2012 02:36 AM

A modest tropical wave located just south of the Cape Verde Islands has become somewhat more convectively active tonight, and an Invest tag has been placed on what is now being tracked as Invest 97L in the far eastern Atlantic.

97L is presently estimated to be centered near 13.5N 21W, and movement is to the west or west-northwest at about 15-20 MPH.

NHC has given this feature a 30% chance of becoming a tropical depression within the next 48 hours.

Edited to reflect upgrades

Edited by cieldumort (Thu Aug 30 2012 09:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Area of Interest: Invest 97L [Re: cieldumort]
      #93853 - Tue Aug 28 2012 02:55 PM

As of 2:00 PM EDT Aug. 28, Invest 97L has become much better organized, with deep convection, albeit sheared, blowing up about a well-defined low level center, and advisories are likely to be formally started on Tropical Depression 11 later today.

Invest 97L is presently located close to 24N 44W, and while long-term movement is expected to be to the west-northwest at 10-15 MPH before a recurvature, recently it has perhaps trended more northerly, into the deep convection, recurvature possibly already starting.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Area of Interest: Invest 97L [Re: cieldumort]
      #93855 - Tue Aug 28 2012 04:14 PM

The GOES Floater link named has changed from 97L to 11L, so looks like we should have formally TD#11 with the 5PM Advisory.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Area of Interest: Tropical Storm Kirk [Re: cieldumort]
      #93878 - Tue Aug 28 2012 10:51 PM

Tropical Depression 11 has been upgraded to Tropical Storm Kirk at 29/03Z located at 23.9N 45.0W with sustained winds of 40 knots. Movement is to the west and should become west northwest over the next couple of days and then turn north and is expected to remain out to sea. With some shear and dry air to the west, the intensity forecast is a bit uncertain and for the moment, Kirk is projected as a TS.
ED

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4644

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 28, 2024, 11:56:44 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center