General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Stork
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Palm City, FL
Honolulu's Unique Vulnerabilities
      #99857 - Sat Dec 29 2018 04:26 PM

I always take particular interest in Central Pacific tropical cyclones, having grown up in Hawai'i, and with family still living there. When a hurricane does menace the islands (as Lane and Olivia did this year) whether on this forum or elsewhere, I try to emphasize to those perhaps not familiar with the islands just how susceptible the Hawaiian Islands are, and in particular the city of Honolulu is, to tropical systems. A storm that Floridians might shake off pretty quickly could have devastating, long-lasting effects there.

In October of this year, Honolulu Civil Beat ('an investigative news website that practices watchdog journalism related to the U.S. state of Hawaii') put together a seven-part series about emergency preparedness in the islands titled 'Are We Ready?'. I'd highly recommend it to anyone wishing to do a deep dive into hurricane preparedness in Hawai'i, and let me just say, as woefully under-prepared as I had imagined them being, the series offers no reassurances.

https://www.civilbeat.org/projects/emergency-preparedness/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8192

Rate this topic

Jump to

Mobile Home - Login - Normal Flhurricane Site
This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources.
Generated March 28, 2024, 8:52:21 AM EDT
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center